Monday, March 25, 2013

Dear Applicant

Definition of irony (n)

bing.com · Bing Dictionary
i·ro·ny
 [ �?�rənee ]   
  1. humor based on opposites: humor based on using words to suggest the opposite of their literal meaning
  2. something humorous based on contradiction: something said or written that uses humor based on words suggesting the opposite of their literal meaning
  3. incongruity: incongruity between what actually happens and what might be expected to happen, especially when this disparity seems absurd or laughable
Synonyms: satire, sarcasm, dryness, mockery, causticness, wit, sardonicism, insincerity, humour, double meaning
 
***************************
 
I got'cher irony right here, Alanis. 
 
Yesterday I sat down and wrote my first blog post in months.  It was filled with hope and excitement, talking about how I'd applied to be the Race Office Assistant position with the Clipper Round the World race.
 
This morning I awoke to the dreaded "Dear Applicant" email from Clipper.  Not even "Dear Aileen" or "Dear Ms. Dingus."  Just "Dear Applicant."  My phone shows me the first line of an email, so even though the subject didn't say anything in particular, I knew even before I opened it up that it wasn't the news I'd so eagerly been awaiting. 
 
My first inclination was to rail against the person who'd sent the email.  He OBVIOUSLY didn't know what he was missing- heck- he didn't even know how to do a mail merge to personalize the letter.  I should just write a scathing email in response, I'd show THEM.
 
Well, actually, that was my second inclination.  My first was to have a big old pity party, shed a few tears and lament my lot in life.
 
The rest of my day has been back and forth between both emotions- anger and depression.
 
But really- my lot in life is no different today than it was yesterday.  I still have hope and excitement, who knows what will happen next?  The Clipper Race starts in August, a ton of things can happen between now and then.  The Volvo starts even later- and that's my ultimate goal- to go around with a VOR syndicate.  My skills are just as relevant today as they were yesterday.  If anything- my drive has strengthened.
 
Remind me of that, next time I start the pity party, ok? 
 
 
 
 
PS- I didn't send a scathing email.  I responded very politely, expressing my dismay, and asking the gentleman to keep me in mind if something else pops up that fit my skills and experience.  ;)
 

No comments:

Post a Comment