Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Bits and Bobs

This will be a post of bits and bobs, as I don't have enough of one topic to devote a whole blog to.

First
Holiday Mondays mess me up.  I spent all day yesterday trying to figure out why I was in my Tuesday supervisor class, and then convinced myself to leave the truck at the warehouse on Tuesday like I was supposed to.  IT WAS TUESDAY, AND I DIDN'T LEAVE THE TRUCK BECAUSE I THOUGHT IT WAS MONDAY.  Today was Thursday in my brain, and I was all excited about tomorrow being Friday.  IT IS NOT.

I propose that all Monday holidays be therefore moved to the previous Friday, so to not throw off my entire week.  Who's with me?

Second
I gave a presentation about recycling to the members at the Unitarian Fellowship of Lawrence the other day.  I think it went well, I've heard nice things.  But really, who's going to come up and say "Wow, Aileen, that really stunk up the joint."  ??  Anyway- here are links to both the ppt. presentation and the pdf notes.   I'd like feedback, even if it is "That really stunk up the joint."


Third
The 2009 movie "Up in the Air" features George Clooney as a guy who's job it is to go around the country and fire people.  Evidently he gets "grounded" and has some sort of epiphany.  I don't know.  I didn't see the film.  But at one point during the movie, he's doing his thing and says something to the effect of "I'll be back in a year and you'll be glad this happened blah blah blah."  Again- I don't know, I didn't see the film.

HOWEVER- a man who I respect quite a bit, and who's opinion I value very much did see it, and he told me about it one day as we had lunch (he was buying- yay!).  The fact that he told me about it soon after the company he ran laid me off was disconcerting, and it made me never want to see the movie, not even a little bit.

No.  What I wanted to do was punch the script writer in the face, and maybe have a go at Clooney with a stick.  I looked at my lunch partner and said something noncommittal like "I hope I get to that point."

Looking back at the time since I got laid off, I'm happy to say that...  well, if nothing else I'm on a different career path.  Getting laid off took me out of the "I want to be Ugly Betty and assist someone for the rest of my life" track and put me on the "I have to rebuild, I can be (almost) anything" track.  So for now, I'll take it.  I'm on a different path, one that might not be as clear, but it's pretty wide, so I've got that going for me.

Am I happy I got laid off?  Absolutely %$#^ not.  I wouldn't wish that, and the subsequent climb back up, on anyone.  I loved my job and my company, and I've felt like total crap since.  But at least I can say I'm no longer drifting.

I'll take that for now.

So.  Who's buying lunch??


No comments:

Post a Comment